TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:14:50 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top voltage testing

Terry wrote:
> I can cut the thinner tube to fit in the terminated coil.
> I think the Q is humidity dependant so I would have to retake
> the Q measurements to insure they didn't drift over time.

Yes. Probably adequate to use the bare coil for this experiment,
so no need to cut the inner tube.

I wrote:
>> It'll be interesting to see if we can obtain a reliable match
>> with the third test result, ie the ordinary scope probe. Would
>> be handy if we could. Capacitance to the screen of the probe lead
>> is probably the biggest random factor.

So far the ordinary scope probe seems to be the only one giving
the 'right' answers!

Terry wrote:
> The 1000X probe has a very long cable unlike the 10X probe so I
> could come off the ceiling.  I could probably mount the small
> light scope to the ceiling too if the top down approach is best...

It's not so much the amount of capacitance involved - we can adjust
for that, but repeatability is something to aim for.

Terry wrote:

> So I guess the input Z is 361.46 ohms.

Thanks. That agrees with the predicted 350 ohms. We've seen this
before when the loss factor is fiddled to match the measured Q,
the input resistance comes out right, which is reassuring.

> The F3 overtone is at 319.226kHz

OK, the model is in error by -3.1% at f3, thats within limits.

Concerning the test #1 26% discrepancy in voltage gain. This is
very odd. The model needed a probe cap of 6.95 pF to reproduce
your f1. In test #3, which is giving a good 2.3% error, the
probe cap is a whopping 24.35 pF. I can't understand how just
a change of top cap alters vgain from 'lots less than Q' to
the expected 'just over Q'.  Could there be a grounding
problem - when P6015 is in use is the scope ground floating
wrt the signal generator ground - that would just about account
for the low reading (which is just over half of the expected top
volts)?

Perhaps you can setup with the P6015 and then add enough vacuum
variable extra ctop to pull the f1 down to 70.6 kHz to match
the test #3 f1 and see if P6015 still shows much less vgain than
the Q.

One way or another, there's something very odd about the test #1
top volts reading. Maybe the probe wasn't quite making contact
with the toroid so we only got a capacitive pickup? The only
situation we should get a Vgain less than Q is for short fat coils
having an Lfac > 1.0, and even then the gain is only a little less
than Q.

Perhaps you can take another look at test #1 and poke around to
see if there's a problem with the Vtop measurement?