TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:50:15 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top voltage testing

Hi Paul,

At 10:14 PM 1/7/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks Terry,
>
>You've given me enough info to set up a model of each of these
>test positions. If I'm allowed to tweak the loss factor and
>Ctop to match your measured Q and Fres, then we should get
>a good match with Vtop/Vbase predictions.

I tried not to leave anything out ;-)  If I actually accomplished that, it
would be a first!

>Did you happen to note the base input current or the V drop
>across your pad resistor - not essential but useful for
>autopsy if the gain prediction doesn't match.

I drove directly from the low Z (<1 ohm) signal generator.  Putting a 1 ohm
surface mount resistor in the signal path with the HP meter would be easy
if needed.

>It'll be interesting to see if we can obtain a reliable match
>with the third test result, ie the ordinary scope probe. Would
>be handy if we could. Capacitance to the screen of the probe lead
>is probably the biggest random factor.

The 1000X probe has a very long cable unlike the 10X probe so I could come
off the ceiling.  I could probably mount the small light scope to the
ceiling too if the top down approach is best...

>With Marc's coils and vsd too, I'm a bit overloaded with jobs
>for half-a-computer to do, but I'll try and run them tonight.

No problem,  the test stuff will stay in place all week as I pack and ship
about 2000 MMC caps ;-)

>Perhaps, after we've got some working models of these, we could
>select one configuration and instrument everything for simultaneous
>readings of Ibase, Vbase, Vtop and Q.

Yep!  Just specify what you want data on.

>BTW, your relatively low Q coil would be ideal for a test of
>pn2511, equ 9.18 which predicts the frequency difference
>between that of max Ibase and that of max Vtop. Reducing Q
>further by insertion of extra inner sonotube should increase
>the frequency difference.

I can cut the thinner tube to fit in the terminated coil.  I think the Q is
humidity dependant so I would have to retake the Q measurements to insure
they didn't drift over time.