TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:44:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top voltage testing

At 09:40 AM 1/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Terrell W. Fritz wrote:
snip...
> [...]
>  Cee < Ces,
>
>and for all coils, w = 1/sqrt( Les * Ces)
>
>which means that the factor 1/(w * sqrt(Lee * Cee)) is a little larger
>than unity for medium to large h/d. For small h/d the factor can be
>smaller than unity, ie gain lower than Q. Adding topload pulls the
>gain towards unity from either side. This stuff was in the section I
>deleted from pn2511 - there was a sentence I couldn't prove so I've
>deferred it to the next installment of 'theory notes'.
>
>> Bandwidth Q Vtop = 74.055
>> Bandwidth Q Iin = 78.36
>
>> For the last Q measurement I used the current input multiplied
>> by 0.7071 to find the Q but got a different answer than using the
>> top voltage.
>
>> Do you think using the input current as a measure of Q is valid
>> and should it be equivalent to the top voltage Q?
>
>They should be the same. The transimpedance ratio Vtop/Ibase varies
>very slowly - I checked this with the model and the two methods
>gave the same Q to within 0.5%. I think we need to take a closer
>look at the base drive arrangement in order to understand this
>discrepancy. We might also need to look at the harmonic content of
>your signal generator output at some point too.
>
>> here is a 0.995 surface mount resistor in series with the
>> generator output, so the driving impedance is around 1 to 2 ohms.
>
>I guess that's the resistor across which you sample the current. Is
>that done with the scope probe? Which end takes the scope ground?
>Something must be floating here. Is there a shunt resistor to the
>groundplane upstream of the series resistor? Perhaps you could tell us
>a bit more about what's connected to where.
>
>> YT5060 through ~1 meter 30ga. wire
>> Fo = 95.309 kHz
>
>Well it seems the thin wire does nothing but add capacitance.
>I thought using the wire might take a bite out of the extra C apparent
>in the toroided case - presumably C between the toroid and probe body.
>In the bare-coil case you don't seem to have any extra 'probe body' C
>to begin with. In view of this I'll focus on the directly connected
>105.05 kHz results.
>
>If I fiddle the loss factor to obtain a match with your measured
>Q=69.8, we get
>
>       Measured      Modeled
>Vgain    77.2         76.0         -1.6%
>Zft      49.95 Kohm   44.7 Kohm   -10.5%
>Rin      647 ohms     588 ohms     -9.1%
>
>We should concentrate on the major Zft discrepancy to begin with, as
>this is virtually independant of Q, ie it's a function of the react-
>ances only. The weak area is the input current measurement. To fix
>this discrepancy we need to register a higher current, ie a higher
>drop across the 0.995 ohm series resistor, which leads me back to
>wondering where the scope probe ground connects to - we may be loosing
>some V from that reading.  Getting to the bottom of this Zft discrep-
>ancy may make your two methods of Q reading converge, since Zft is

I retook the Q measurements for a top loaded coil again twice with the
following results:

Test	F	Ibase	Vtop
Fo	70955	1.590	51.9
Fl	70482	1.124	36.7
Fh	71482		36.7
Fh	71449	1.124
Q		73.4	71.0

Test	F	Ibase	Vtop
Fo	70958	1.595	52.1
Fl	70472	1.128	36.8
Fh	71455		36.8
Fh	71317	1.128
Q		84.0	72.2

Voltage gain Q = 52 / (0.7071 - 0.0016) = 73.7

I then went back for a third time trying my best...:

Test	F	Ibase	Vtop
Fo	70964	1.592	51.9
Flv	70486	1.134	36.7
Fhv	71482	1.068	36.7
Fli	70475	1.125	36.7
Fhi	71440	1.125	38.1
Q		73.5	71.3

Voltage gain Q = 51.9 / (0.7071 - 0.0016) = 73.6

This was with the 8 x 22 toroid 46 inches (center line) off the floor

I did notice that the Fl measurement for current was more sensitive than
the Fh measurements.

So to make a long story short.  The voltage Q seems slightly low but the
voltage and current Q do seem to match.  The errors seem to be due to the
sensitivity of this measurement and were probably related to my movement
near the coil's fields.  I have to work fairly close to the coil and I
think I moved too much in some of the other measurements.  The last one
should be the best by far since I tried really hard not to move around.
the voltage Q does seem consistently low but that is probably due to
calibration error in the scope's relatively course level measurements which
tended to bounce around a lot. So all seems well...

So I removed the toroid and redid the measurements in light of being carful
not to move or disturb anything during the test.

Test	F		Ibase	Vtop
Fo	105060		1.179	53.4
Flv	104304		0.833	37.8
Fhv	105843		0.730	37.8
Fli	104304		0.833	37.8
Fhi	105724		0.833	40.9
Q			74.0	68.3

Voltage gain Q = 53.4 / (0.7071 - 0.0012) = 75.65

So the voltage Q still seems a little low...  So I hooked the HP meter to
the bare coil top along with the scope probe...

The HP has like a 1 Meg ohm and 100pF load along with the long wire.  but I
tuned it and I got:

HP 34401a	14.571 VACrms
TEK B210	15.4 VACrms

So the scope appears to be reading about 5.69% high.  Unfortunately, that
would make the Q reading for voltage even lower instead of higher :-p

I hit the self recalibration button on the scope and the reading dropped to
15.3.  I then put another probe on the meter's inputs and read 15.4.  So
the scope and the meter are reading a bit different values.  They calculate
RMS a bit differently in that the meter is AC coupled.  I put the scope on
AC coupling but nothing changed.  so I am not sure what is going on there.
The meter should have an ACrms accuracy of 0.7% at this range and
frequency...  the scopes has a 256 bit vertical resolutions so it is pretty
course.  It's accuracy is around ~4% (the "spec" reads like a Florida
ballot :-))  The probe adds some error to but it is not specked.

Since the signal generator has a very accurate output I measured it with
both instruments at a variety of frequencies.  The HP meter seemed deadly
accurate up to almost 1MHz while the scope seemed to vary a bit.  they read
exactly the same at 1MHz but the scope reads a bit higher at higher
frequencies.  The scope also has a little offset and such as well as low
level noise.  However, all that would tend to make it read higher not
lower...  So the accuracy problem (if there is one) is probably the scope
(or probe) but it would appear that the voltage Q is too low.  I am at the
limit of my equipment here to get any more detail on that.

BTW - I measure current though a 1 ohm resistor right at the signal
generator output.  The HP meter is connected across the resistor.  The
signal generator has about 0.25 ohm impedance at these frequencies.  It has
very low THD.

I hope all this helps rather than adds to the confusion :-))