TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 08:08:00 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] 50 ohm Generator hookup

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:
I'm having a polyurethane party this weekend in order to convert a
quantity of copper and tea into a transformer. Hence the reason for
being up at this hour to catch up on some paperwork!

Terry, the new signal generator is really impressive and its
frequency setting accuracy opens the door to doing some precision Q
measurements.

> I tried terminating the coax with 1 and 50 ohms:
> I got Qs of 103 and 105 respectively

OK. That's reasonable. It looks like a 2% change in effective
series resistance against an overall resistance of around 500 ohms,
so the coil is seeing a source resistance of around 10 ohms with
the 50 ohm termination. Could the generator have a nominal 50 ohms
output impedance but in fact be somewhat lower?

> I have parts on order for a low Z wide band amp but
> that won't be together for about a week.

An excellent solution to the problem.

> The generator and the HP meter are consist ant but the scope likes
> to read high.

Yes. Even if the scope was spot on, some calibration would be needed
anyway to account for whatever probe or divider arrangement is in
use for the top voltage.

You may find now that with the new generator the variability of your
coil's Q may become troublesome. Do you have any other coils
available for testing? Smaller, non-sonotube, perhaps? Measuring Q
indoors is a real problem since the resulting Q depends so much on
how much energy is absorbed in walls, ceiling and floor. For a test
setup capable of doing justice to your new generator you might want
to consider switching to a smaller coil on a low-loss former, one
which is small enough to completely enclose in shielding so that its
Q will be high, stable, and possibly even predictable.

As regards the base drive, the method you've been using seems fine,
although it's better if the current shunt, etc is moved to the coil
base end of the feeder. Something like the arrangement shown in
http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/basedrive.gif
might have some advantage. I tend to prefer this so that I can get
both V and I samples referenced to ground, although the thing has
to be calibrated by replacing the secondary coil with a known
resistor. The coupling transformer (flyback ferrite) is a step-down
ratio to drop the incoming 50 ohms down to something nearer 1 ohm,
say 5:1 or 10:1 turns ratio. The whole gubbins can be boxed for
stability and shielding, and placed under or near the coil.

Regards,