TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:35:43 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] 50 ohm Generator hookup

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> My 777pF long coax did add significant loading :-))

Gosh, that's a lot! Isn't that about 25 metres of thin coax?

> What I found is that when the primary and secondary of the
> transformer are wound directly over each other as in this
> transformer, there is significant primary to secondary
> capacitance which wreaks havoc on the measurement circuit
> in this case.

Indeed. I assumed you'd use a toroidal flyback ferrite and put
the windings diametrically opposite each other. Mine has only 8pF
between primary and a bifilar secondary, which is not enough to
interfere with the relatively low impedance measurements around
the coil base. With the windings stacked on top of each other I
should think you'd get a few hundred pF, which would be troublesome.

BTW, I use a bifilar secondary in which the second secondary is
wired in reverse to a potentiometer in such a way that the thing
acts as a bridge. I use it to get quick base impedance measurements
by switching out Rs, driving in through the 'current' port and
adjusting the pot for a dip in the signal from the 'drive' port.