TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:45:30 -0700
Subject: [TSSP] 50 ohm Generator hookup

Hi All,

I have been busy acquiring some new toys :-))

I have a 2500Volt 250MHz probe on order which will fill a hole I have had
in medium voltage measurement.

I also finally got a nice synthesized signal generator (I'll have to go rob
a bank tonight to pay for it :-)).  It gives rock solid signals and solves
all the flakiness of my homemade generators:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/P2010014.jpg

So I want to hook this to my coil with a 50 ohm coax:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/P2010015.JPG

And I was wondering what the best hookup is.  The signal generator has 50
ohms output Z.  I tried terminating the coax with 1 and 50 ohms:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/connect.jpg

Surprisingly, I got Qs of 103 and 105 respectively.  Perhaps some of my low
Q measurements before were due to the signal generator??

I was just wondering what you thought would be the best way to hook the
thing to the coil.  I have parts on order for a low Z wide band amp but
that won't be together for about a week.

The generator is a pure joy to use.  The measurements can be done with two
more orders of magnitude accuracy.  It also does programmable arbitrary
waveforms for really fun stuff.  I will now retire my other two generators,
the frequency counter, and all the odd wires that went with them.  I do
need to go shopping for a few more BNC connector dodads...

I also think the scope is reading high.  The generator and the HP meter are
consist ant but the scope likes to read high.  The scope is software
programmable.   If I can get hold of the program or figure out the manual
method I could recalibrate it...