TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:53:33 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] top voltage initial meas.

Metlicka Marc wrote:

> i have made some preliminary tests on coil #2 using my
> techtronics 466 scope and a fluke 873 meter.

OK, I've just got time for a quick reply as I have to play out
on the hills for a few hours tonight...

> the signal generator is padded with both a 100 ohm and 600 ohm resistor
> for comparisons as the generator has a 600 ohm output. i saw no
> difference in results?

That's OK. This test shouldn't be affected too much by base
resistance up to around 200 ohms. Things might go a bit wrong
with as high as 600.

> i used two 10x 10meg 11.2pf probes.

ok.

> base voltage is 1.87v

that's in the right ballpark...

> fres is 190.3 khz repeatable

Thats about right.

> base I is .2043 ua micro amp taken after the resistor (this surprised
> me)

This sounds to be way too low, I'd expect something around 1 or 2 mA.

> base v was 1 Div. 5vdiv.
> topv was 4div@50vdiv.
> topv 74.8 v

Vtop is in the right ballpark,

> i switched ab with a 1.2% deviation to the lesser topv

Encouraging.

> these are some initial coil #2 measurements and were repeated many
> times to be sure of the repeatability.

Looking promising, and repeatability is good news. You just need to
reconsider how you're measuring the base current, the fraction of
a uA is way too low. If you're in doubt send us a diagram of how
you've connected it all together.

Hard to type while putting boots on,