TSSP: List Archives

From: mystuffs@orwell.net (Metlicka Marc)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:32:57 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Problems with high elevation/small radius

paul, everyone
i got to thinking about this stray capacitance dilemma and what i
wondered was that since my top turn curls into the center of the bare
coil for topload mounting, is this causing any added capacitance?
i first "QUICKLY" hooked my gen. radio bridge up to the coils 2 and 3,
over my ground plane on the milk crate.
i found that with the wire curled to top mount screw (nylon) it did give
a .8nf and .5nf higher c then with the wire extending straight up.
the leads were kept in the same config and i tried to sit exactly the
same while reading.
i then hooked coil 2 up for f1 readings. today, with wire curled to
screw, the f1 is 191.5 khz, with wire straight up, 193.3 khz.
again, probes and person as close to same as ?.
i'm not trusting the actual accuracy of the bridge values, but i see a
definite change of c from top turn when curled over the winding form.
???
marc