TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:20:23 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Problems with high elevation/small radius

Hi,

I noticed too while working on E-Tesla that either having a top center
connection or just a solenoid without and end wire makes a significant
difference in f1.  If a coil's diameter is large, there is a big air space
at the top.  Having a wire leading to that space can add a bunch of top
capacitance.  E-Tesla assumes that there is a center connection in all
cases and thus there is a little spot in the field graphs that show this.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/CoilTop.jpg

I guess we should always mention this in making precise f1 measurements.  I
did this automatically with my small coil testing but I just took this for
granted that everyone knew why :-))   A wire to a center terminal can add
several pF on a medium coil.  I forget the exact differences but in E-Tesla
where the frequencies are supposed to be "real close", the top termination
is really critical.