TSSP: List Archives

From: Kurt Schraner
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:29:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Problems with high elevation/small radius

Hi Paul, Everybody,

thank you Paul, for welcoming me on this great tssp list.

Paul wrote:
> Perhaps Kurt and Mark can let me know if there are any lead wires
> or terminals coming off the top turn?

When measuring the little coil,

 sk5b185: bare d=0.051m h/d=8.03 sr=0.91 b/h=0.45 turns=934
 f1    919.5kHz 1027.0kHz +11.7%

there has indeed been a top end wire of length 27cm floating
around, which surely has influenced the result strongly. Probably
it was just hanging in the air, some 5...10cm distant, along the
outside of the coil - I've not paid attention to it. At the top
end, before pointing away from the coil, the wire forms one loose
turn, with a height of the spiral of 2.2cm. Sorry for being
careless about that, because I should have known better. You
remember, regarding my larger long coil,

Sk long: bare d=0.161m h/d=8.71 sr=0.89 b/h=0.389 turns=1976

I have written (Sun, 04 Feb 2001):

"The measurements for this coil have been teaching me, how
sensitive
 to the (-capacitive-) environment such tests behave: A 0.5m free
 wiping end of the winding wire, at the top of the bare coil, was
 showing large movements of the resonance peak
weaveform-amplitude
 on my oscilloscope, when just pushed to vibration by hand."

Soo..., what will be the least errorprone way, to perform those
measurements in the future, presupposed, we want yet being able,
to connect a topload to the coil, meaning wirelength=0 "not
feasible"? Would a relatively short end of wire (i.e. 5cm, in the
sk5b185 case), pointing radially outwards, be acceptable?

I finally got all components for building Terry's low-Z
amplifier, and hope to do it within the next days. This will
shurely better my future results.

Cheers,

Kurt Schraner