TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:37:52 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Problems with high elevation/small radius

Malcolm Watts wrote:

> Again, the fact that a piece of wire sitting above the top of the
> coil adds significant capacitance is well known. There are
> corrections for this cited by Medhurst and others and I have seen it
> occurring in old test. It is a remarkable fact that for a particular
> coil geometry, a piece of wire as long as the coil itself and
> sitting bolt upright on top (and obviously connected) can double
> the effective Cself of the structure.

Yes, looks like we'll have to take these lead-out wires into account
when modeling. I have a tendency to assume that because the surface
area is small compared with, say, the coil surface, that the
additional C will be negligible. I'll have to take more care to
calculate the effects of fittings and lead wires, especially on small
coils.

Kurt Schraner wrote:

> When measuring the little coil,
>
>  sk5b185: bare d=0.051m h/d=8.03 sr=0.91 b/h=0.45 turns=934
>  f1    919.5kHz 1027.0kHz +11.7%
>
> there has indeed been a top end wire of length 27cm floating
> around, which surely has influenced the result strongly.

OK, if I assume it just sticks out horizontally, its capacitance is
about 1.73 pF, and if I add this as a lump into the model, the result
for sk5 is

 sk5b185: bare d=0.051m h/d=8.03 sr=0.91 b/h=0.45 turns=934
 f1    919.5kHz  886.4kHz -3.6%

which turns the situation around somewhat.

> Probably it was just hanging in the air, some 5...10cm distant,
> along the outside of the coil - I've not paid attention to it.
> At the top end, before pointing away from the coil, the wire forms
> one loose turn, with a height of the spiral of 2.2cm.

I'll deduct 16cm for the circumference of the extra loose turn, and
consider the effect of the remaining 11cm, at an elevation of 62cm,
which comes to 0.7pF, with which we get

 sk5b185: bare d=0.051m h/d=8.03 sr=0.91 b/h=0.45 turns=934
 f1    919.5kHz  963.5kHz +4.8%

So it appears that we can bracket your measured error.  That is
encouraging.  Does this coil have a similar wire lead at the bottom
end, or can we use the trick of measuring it upside down?

> You remember, regarding my larger long coil,
>
> Sk long: bare d=0.161m h/d=8.71 sr=0.89 b/h=0.389 turns=1976
>
> I have written (Sun, 04 Feb 2001):
>
> "The measurements for this coil have been teaching me, how
>  sensitive to the (-capacitive-) environment such tests
>  behave: A 0.5m free wiping end of the winding wire, at the top
>  of the bare coil, was showing large movements of the resonance
>  peak weaveform-amplitude on my oscilloscope, when just pushed
>  to vibration by hand."

Sorry, I remember reading this, but it didn't register that the wire
was attached to the top of the coil. The additional C is around
3pF if the wire was taken out horizontally - a worst case perhaps.
The result is a frequency reduction of about 7%. Interestingly for
this coil, the measured value is already higher than the model
predicts, ie

 sk16b55: bare d=0.161m h/d=8.71 sr=0.90 b/h=0.39 turns=1976
 f1    161.4kHz  156.4kHz -3.1%

which means that if we add in the additional C, we could be as much
as 10% low in the frequency prediction. Hmm, might have to take
another look at this coil.

> Soo..., what will be the least errorprone way, to perform those
> measurements in the future, presupposed, we want yet being able,
> to connect a topload to the coil, meaning wirelength=0 "not
> feasible"? Would a relatively short end of wire (i.e. 5cm, in the
> sk5b185 case), pointing radially outwards, be acceptable?

Well when the topload is actually in place, the additional C of the
lead wire surely is negligible, it only really shows up in the bare
coil.  As to how to account in the model for the top lead wires and
terminals on bare coils, I'm just not sure yet - needs more thought
but I'm pleased that it offers corrections of about the right
magnitude to fix some, at least, of the small radius/high elevation
difficulties.

> I finally got all components for building Terry's low-Z
> amplifier, and hope to do it within the next days. This will
> shurely better my future results.

I'm sure that will improve matters, and you might be able to find
the point of resonance by monitoring the DC input current to the
amplifier - tuning for maximum.