TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terry Fritz"
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 00:04:44 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] 50 ohm Generator hookup

Hi,

>What I really
>need to do is pull off the winding and insert a copper foil ground shield
>between the two windings (being careful not to make a shorted turn).  Just
>wanted to point this out to others that may make one of these.

I added the foil shield to the transformer and it decreased the current
leakage 1000X!!  The primary to secondary current is now far down in the
noise.  I am surprised how well it worked!  I also ground the near winding.

I took some quick measurements of a 498.32 ohm resistor with the new box:

F (kHz)	V		I		R		Error %
10		0.500008	1.00143		497.35		-0.19
20		0.500013	1.00140		497.37		-0.19
40		0.500068	1.00121		497.52		-0.16
100		0.500083	0.99956		498.35		0.01
200		0.500010	0.99352		501.31		0.60
400		0.500050	0.97354		511.64		2.67
1000		0.500081	0.85668		581.47		16.69

I could probably get even closer with a few correction tables, but the box
works great without any correction other than for the 9.961 ohm current
sense resistor.  I corrected Vin for each reading and disconnected the V
cable for the current measurements.  I will play more with correction
factors tomorrow and look into what that long cable may do to things but
the box is now working great after rebuilding the transformer 4 times :-))