TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 14:32:44 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Reactive part of base input impedance

Hi Marc,

With a little torroid on my coil, I sweeped the frequency from 250 - 255kHz.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Tek00005.gif

The yellow is the voltage out of Paul's box, the blue is the current out of
the box, and the red is the resistance.  The readout is the lowest
resitance point (I almost had to read the manual to figure out how to do
that trick :-)).  You can see all the waveforms as the coil passes through
resonance.

You can see in the yellow voltage trace that as the coil comes into tune,
the lowering coil input resistance is loading the voltage down a bit as the
current shoots up.  This illustrates how the loading on the input of the
coil changes over frequency.  I think in your case, this loading may indeed
be having a little effect on your meter and the wiring.  I find this stuff
is pretty darn sensitive.  At one point I could see the diference between
having my toes curled or uncurled on the HP meter as I was sitting six feet
away!

Normally, I would think as the coil comes into tune, and the top voltage
was highest, that the resistance on the input would fall and increase the
load on the signal generator to drop that voltage a bit.  This is what is
shown in the pic above.  However, the meters and wiring may be having an
effect too...