TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 19:09:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Time domain modeling

Hi All,

Gosh, this time domain modeling stuff does open up a lot of
avenues of investigation. I'm just sitting down to another
evening with the code, but even when I'm at work, thoughts
keep coming back to the problems and possibilities.

For example, I've always assumed that breakdown of the sec
is likely if k is taken too high, due to the induced EMF
from the primary exceeding the turn-turn breakdown of the
secondary.

Havn't got a full picture yet, but other possibilities
arise. The familiar pri-sec beat is the sum of two
normal modes, more or less equally excited by the initial
bang. For small k, the modes are close and very similar
sec I distribution I(x) for each, but of opposite sign, relative
to Ipri. So with equal amounts of each, the two sec I(x) cancel
out to around zero, and the two Ipri add up to the amount
required for the bang. As k increases the modes move apart and
also change shape. Cancellation is now no longer perfect, and
thus higher modes need to go into the pot in order to recover
the match to the initial conditions. Energy in the higher
modes has a roughly proportionally higher voltage gradient
on the secondary, eg 3/4 wave has almost 3 times the volts
per metre than 1/4 wave, for the same terminal voltage. Hopefully
we'll be able to tell if this mechanism contributes to
difficulties of using high k. We'll also soon be able to see
if the conical primary makes life easier in this respect - we
might expect its 'smoother' application of EMF to couple
less to the higher modes. Sorry for the handwaving, just a
few thoughts. The math and computations should spell this out
more rigorously.

Boris wrote:
> Correct.The freq. of power discharge depends on a
> isotropic C, physical size of isotropic capacity(not
> just on C but there is difference wether toroid
> /sphere etc.used),density of coil turns and I suspect
> to some extent on geometry of outter path to ground
> coil discharges into.

Yes, but I'm not too concerned with the high frequency
components of the arc itself - I wouldn't know where to
start to calculate these. Just that, while the arc is
present, the solenoid is effectively grounded at both
ends, with an appropriate set of modes for this boundary
condition, and the longer this condition persists, I think
the greater is the energy is transfered from the two main
modes into higher order resonances. When the discharge
ends and the top short is released, the original grounded
base modes are restored and the energy remaining in the
coil is once again redistributed, this time amongst the
original mode set. Can't say for sure yet, but I don't
think the energy winds up back in the original main two
modes, but is more spread out than before the discharge.

> Terry's former experimental coil has shown power arc
> impedance about 2kohm for 3.5" arc.
> System I tested in Croatia by estimation of heat
> consumption of watter resistor,has shown an average
> impedance of more than 8000 ohms  for 17" arc.
> Dale Hall's single pulse operated coil with 24"*8" top
> toroid gave about 500-1000 ohms for 20" arc.

Quite some variation there, going to take some effort to
get a general picture. I think that the load impedance will
end up being the dominant limiting factor in ultimate accuracy,
more so than, say, Q factor, and therefore we are justified in
reducing the accuracy of the modeling itself. So I've been
using around 200 steps rather than around 500 steps as used
up to now by tsim.

Cheers All,