TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Time domain modeling

Hi Paul,Terry,All

--- "Terrell W. Fritz"  wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> At 04:33 AM 5/2/2001 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >A question to those who have looked at secondary
> voltage
> >waveforms on the scope: When arc discharge occurs
> from the
> >topload to ground, does the breakdown path continue
> >exist into the next half cycle and beyond, or does
> the conducting
> >path extinguish at the first zero crossing and have
> to re-form
> >if it can, on the next half-cycle?  Maybe the
> answer is 'partly',
> >ie some of the ionisation is left over and a
> temporary lower
> >breakdown voltage is available to the next
> half-cycle. Can
> >anybody advise?
> >
> >The reason I ask is that, depending on just how
> long the arc
> >discharge path can be considered to be grounding
> the top of the
> >coil, it looks like quite a substantial amount of
> energy can be
> >transfered into one of the higher modes, to be
> trapped there.
---
Correct.The freq. of power discharge depends on a
isotropic C, physical size of isotropic capacity(not
just on C but there is difference wether toroid
/sphere etc.used),density of coil turns and I suspect
to some extent on geometry of outter path to ground
coil discharges into.
Lotta to be experimented here (don't try to simulate
such event since Maxwell field approach is needed here
+ knowledge of power arc impedance).
Terry's former experimental coil has shown power arc
impedance about 2kohm for 3.5" arc.
System I tested in Croatia by estimation of heat
consumption of watter resistor,has shown an average
impedance of more than 8000 ohms  for 17" arc.
Dale Hall's single pulse operated coil with 24"*8" top
toroid gave about 500-1000 ohms for 20" arc.
---

> >Anyone reporting arcs along their secondary - but
> only when the
> >top is actually discharging?

---
Me not.But Tesla reported something like that in CS
when he discharged his big secondary to grounded plate
in his lab.

Regards,
Boris

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/smallar/smallar4.html