TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:46:16 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] Multimode CW excitation

Hi All,

Just an off-the-cuff idea for your amusement,

Say, P watts of CW base fed into a secondary gives a peak
top volts V.

Half that power, P/2 watts, would then give  V/sqrt(2)

Suppose you then setup a typical primary winding, resonated
with the usual Cpri, but with the gap shorted. Modest k factor.
Now the single mode splits into two, nearby frequencies,
call them f+ and f-.

Drive the base of the coupled system with P/2 watts at each
resonance f+ and f-, for a total drive of P watts.

Now, with the assumption that we still get V/sqrt(2) volts
in each mode at the coil top, this means that (f+ - f-) times
each second, the two modes reinforce at the top to give
2V/sqrt(2) volts, the net result being a peak voltage
for our P watts which is sqrt(2) times that which we had with
single mode CW excitation.

Then suppose we add a second 'primary' resonator...