TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:14:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Genetic optimisation

> Paul wrote:
> > Is there any hope of being able to calculate a
> > reasonable estimate of the voltage at which a particular topload
> > will discharge?

> Metlicka Marc wrote:

> ... could, using my triggered gap to force gap conduction, i use a
> variac to bring the voltage to an nst up slowly, use a one set sized
> toroid and find the input voltage where the toroid just breaks out...

Yes, if there was some way to measure the top voltage, say to 5 or 10%
accuracy. I'm sure there are approximate formulas based on radius of
curvature, etc. Would be interesting to see how they compared with
some measured breakout voltages. No doubt the amount of surface rough-
ness will make a contribution.

> this may give some starting data and then maybe the roc's of each
> could be calculated into a form of database to find the mean breakout
> voltages of different roc's?

Yes, we'd end up with a table of roc and breakout volts, but maybe it
would only be valid for a particular height above ground, etc. So many
factors involved - needs some careful thought.

> since i could do this with the same coil profile and only the topload
> being changed, would this help in any way?

Yes, I think it would, but really it would need several people to
perform
these measurements on their different coils in order to build up an
overall picture. First step would be to settle on a way of measuring
the top volts, so that all the results can be fairly compared and
placed together into a composite table.

> i could do this with the three or five control topload in this
> testing? if you, and all on the tssp project, think this data could
> generate a basis of topload breakout voltage, i would be happy to try.

I think this would be a good thing to do. Maybe the following strategy?

1/ Devise a standardised way to measure the peak topvolts. Something
that
anybody can setup without buying any expensive kit. Must be repeatable
and reasonably accurate, say 5% to 10%.

2/ Persuade lots of coilers to measure their systems with whatever
toploads they have available.

3/ Compile the results into a table.

At that point it should be clear whether we have a pattern to the
table, or whether the results are all over the place.

If there *is* a pattern, then we can extract the desired empirical
formula.

4/ Use the formula to predict the breakout volts of a coil that hasn't
been measured, and then test it.

Marc, IMO this could well be an important and very worth while thing
to do, not just for the tssp requirements, but for coilers in general.

Maybe this study has already been done?

What do the others on the list think?