TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:32:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Something of Interest

Hi Malcolm,

> Among other things, I noted a *drop* in Q when placing a terminal on
> resonator #3 (usually one sees a rise and I  infer skin/proximity losses
> are most probably responsible due to the small wire size)

Yes, usually Q goes up, I guess due to reduced AC resistance at the
lower frequency of the loaded coil. But if the wire is so thin that
it's radius is smaller than the skin depth at *both* frequencies, then
the R will be the same for both, and wL/R will apply, hence the
reduced Q of the loaded thin-wire coil.

> but of all three, this was the best radiator with no terminal.

Don't know what to make of that.

> ... While conventional wisdom concentrates on high secondary Q's,
> there is some really interesting stuff to be gleaned from secondaries
> that pack a lot of L into a relatively small volume.

Yes, high Q or high transimpedance - which to go for to get the best
performance?  Perhaps there is an optimum mix of the two?  Not sure
what we can conclude from the fluoro indications - as mentioned in
another thread we could do with a neat way to measure top volts.