TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 20:57:23 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Genetic optimisation

Hi Paul,

At 12:19 AM 5/20/2001 +0100, you wrote:
snip...  that all sounded goo to me!

>Not that any of the results would be particularly realistic, as I
>don't suppose we can take into account the breakout characteristics of
>the toploads involved. Is there any hope of being able to calculate a
>reasonable estimate of the voltage at which a particular topload will
>discharge?  If not then any attempt at optimisation is just a piece of
>recreational mathematics.

If one inputs a top load voltage into E-Tesla6, it will create a field
stress array in volts per unit distance.  Thus, if you know the breakdown
voltage of air, you can find the torroid voltage that will give that field
stress.

Voltage plot:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/MattD1.gif

Voltage stress plot:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/MattD2.gif

Basically, it seems to follow very closely the sphere's breakdown voltage
of 3MV/m  (3,000,000 volts per meter radius).  Since the area of interest
is very close to the top load's surface, the surrounding stuff does not
have a great effect.  However, that is assuming the breakdown voltage is
the same at DC, 60Hz, and 350kHz.

So you can find the voltage differentials per unit distance in the arrays
of a field stress analysis and come up with the volts per meter stress in
various places.  The question then is when does air initially breakdown at
say 300kHz?  The fact that the voltage "suddenly" builds up rather than is
a continuous stress is also a factor.  "Pulsed" CW coils have very long
swordlike streamers as opposed to pure CW coils due to this effect.

Still thinking on this....