TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:45:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Genetic optimisation

Hi Bert, All,

Bert Hickman wrote:

> I only wish I had more time to devote...

I wish you had too - things always seem a lot clearer after you've put
them into words.

Looks like 26kV/cm is the figure to work with at normal TC frequencies,
 - comes as some relief that the value is not severely frequency
dependent, things would be tricky if so!

If I've understood things right, the leader formation begins and
continues as long as this gradient can be maintained just ahead of the
leader. I guess the significant threshold involves meeting this value at
the surface of the smooth toroid and once a leader begins to form, its
sharp point will then ensure that the leader forms rapidly for quite
some distance - even though the 'background' field from the
topload would, by itself, fall below the 26kV/cm threshold only a little
way from the surface. Subject to the toroid having enough charge
available to support that formation. What stops the leader formation?
I guess either it hits earth or it runs out of charge - the toroid is
depleted and the 26kV/cm cannot be maintained at the tip? So a big
toroid would be reluctant to break out (modest surface gradient), but
it would throw a long streamer as soon as it did (lots of charge
available)?

I'm afraid I've got some more questions!

> A long spark (>6 cm) is characterized by multiple avalanches in an
> evolutionary sequence: streamer flash(es) --> leader propagation
> (fed by groups of streamers) --> spark (if leader > bridges the gap).

Can we assume that this whole sequence takes place in a timescale short
compared with an RF cycle - I suppose thats so because if not there
would be a bigger frequency dependence?

When the HT falls away, do things recombine and settle down sufficiently
that on the next half cycle there is no 'memory' of the previous half
cycle?

Ultimately what I'm fishing around for is some confidence that some
acceptable and realistic account can be taken of the breakout
thresholds, otherwise attempts at non-linear time domain modeling will
founder on that point.  I feel as though we are on top of the technical
matter of computing the response and now, quite suddenly it seems, we
are up against this more difficult problem of finding a load conductance
function which provides an acceptable summary description of the
breakout dynamics.

If I've got things right, then Terry should be able to calculate quite
easily the top voltage at which streamers should suddenly start to form,
and we might also be able to calculate an estimate of streamer length
too (as a function of topvolts). Given those two separate figures (or
functions) we would then have the choice of optimising for max topvolts
or max streamer length, using the same genetic software but with two
different merit functions.