TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 00:18:28 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Loss due to ultrasonic mechanical vibration of secondary?

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

>  Magnetostriction I think is the term and there is the magnetic
> attraction between wires with opposing currents.

Not too clear on it myself. I think the coil tries to expand,
and the mechanical vibration would be at 2 times the RF frequency.

> My SS coil does not seem to vibrate the secondary but it would
> be at 350kHz which is hard to hear :-))

Can you modulate the carrier with an audio tone - try putting some
into your sonotube coil - you might hear it?  I'm sure there must
be some mechanical coupling, its a question of whether the energy
lost in a tightly formed, well coated, Tesla secondary is significant.
What about a less well made one?  Would only take less than 1% loss
per cycle to help fix up the energy budget. Wish I could think of
a way to measure it.

You're right, I think the forces could be calculated, but I don't
know how to go on to calculate the movement and energy loss.

> There is also corona around the coils and stuff here and there (like off
> the tope edge of the secondary) that is a loss that may be significant.
> the field stress plots coming up will show these points.

No, in this case the un-accounted loss is present for small signals.
One way or another the measured Q almost always comes out well below
the figure based just on the Medhurst resistance and an allowance for
drive impedance and ground resistance. There's a portion, in my case
around 40%, that remains unknown. Marco has a similar portion, and we
still have the mystery of your sonotube loss.  Can Medhurst be
out by a factor of two?  Have to think about some AC resistance
measurements.

In the end I'll get my big coil running and see what heats up :)

CHeers,