TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:09:41 -0600
Subject: [TSSP] streamer formation modeling

Hi All,

Since Paul's Tesla coil modeling project has now done secondary behavior,
primary to secondary coupling, losses...  and is now running up against
real time streamer loading effects, I thought I would mention "my" thoughts
on streamer formation.  Mostly from reading about 30,000 Tesla list posts
:-))  I really do read them all as moderator as I am sure you all do :-)))

At first, the streamer needs to break out or start ionization in the air.
This usually occurs at a little defect or odd spot on the toroid where the
field stress reaches around 30kV/cm (now refined to 26kV).  Once there is
ionization, heating effects seem to be really important in that the hot air
forms a very conductive path outward into lower field stress regions.
Since the voltage reduces drastically outward from the toroid, current
wants to flow.  Since the current is AC, the streamer tends to also feed
the space capacitance around the growing streamer (more current).  These
currents only have a say 3% duty cycle so the heated air path is important
in forming a conduit for the next pulse to push the streamer further and
further into the surrounding air.  The voltage is not so important at this
point as is the current and its heat generating ability in increasing the
low resistance path length and thus the streamer grows in length with each
pulse.  Eventually, the streamer energy is no longer sufficient to sustain
the heated air path and the streamer fails.  The path suddenly
disintegrates and the toroid receives higher voltage again and a new
streamer starts up.

This is obviously a very messy subject in which not to much is known
(especially quantitative numbers).  Three people that I am not sure are in
our tssp group (aside from those I know are here) come to mind.  Maybe we
should entice them to join at this point if they wish ;-)  Streamer
formation modeling is a subject where we can use all the help we can get!

Jim Lux   jimlux@earthlink.net
Gary Lau   gary.lau@compaq.com
Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz   acmq@coe.ufrj.br

The TSSP project page is at:
http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/

Work is ongoing. If you wish to contribute, or just follow developments,
please join the mailing list by emailing to majordomo@abelian.demon.co.uk
and put subscribe tssp in the body of the message.

I zipped up the recent posts here at:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/[TSSP]TimeDomainModeling.txt

I will copy the above and see if they are interested in joining Paul's
group here.