TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:25:39 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Measured vs. Operating coil coupling?

Hi Terry, All,

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> ...Dryer duct toroid tend to have strangely poorer performance
> than smooth toroid.  Perhaps this is a truly new concern for
> toroid builders!

It would be interesting to know where abouts the average toroid
sits in relation to the curves in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/eddy-coupling.gif

in other words, is a dryer-duct toroid more resistive than the
'worst case', ie somewhere between the green curve and the
blue curve, or is it less resistive, ie between the green curve and
the red curve? If the former, then reducing the resistance may
make things worse.  And how about a spun aluminium toroid - where
does that sit?  In view of the small Fres shift reported by those
who have tried cutting the toroid, it may be nearer the blue than
the red.

Plenty of room for useful experiments with this. Eg, take a toroid
with a radial cut. Measure Q and Fres with a range of resistances
bridging the cut. Should be able to form a graph showing the locus
of the response peaks (imagine a U-shaped curve joining the peaks
of the three curves in the image, touching the peaks of all the
intermediate response curves.  Question boils down to whether or
not the resulting curve shows the whole U, or maybe just the
left hand half, ie with zero bridging resistance the response
doesn't go as far down as the green curve, and never gets up
the other side because the toroid resistance itself is too high.

It should be possible to demonstrate a U-shaped locus of the
coupling by doing the above expt using the primary, with a
variable resistance across the primary terminals (no gap, no cap),
and CW feed into the base.

Most interesting for me is the possibility of preventing the
magnetic field from going into the ground - but that test will
have to wait till the weather improves.