TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:37:50 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Loss due to ultrasonic mechanical vibration of

Hi Paul,

I notice in my solid state gap work that you can hear the current going
through the wires (everything else is dead silent).  Magnetostriction I
think is the term and there is the magnetic attraction between wires with
opposing currents.  By knowing the current profile and the distance and
mass of the conductors, one could work out the force and how far they move.
 I am sure the secondary vibrates a bit but I would think the currents in
the secondary would cause far less vibration.  My SS coil does not seem to
vibrate the secondary but it would be at 350kHz which is hard to hear :-))

I have never heard of polyurethane cracking or wear in secondary wiring do
to vibration of this type.

There is also corona around the coils and stuff here and there (like off
the tope edge of the secondary) that is a loss that may be significant.
the field stress plots coming up will show these points.