TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:40:10 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Genetic optimisation

Hi Paul,

Bert's 26kV/cm number is very good.  When the voltage on a sphere of 1cm
radius reaches 26kV it will arc outward.  It is a linear function so a 2cm
radius sphere is 52kV and a three is 78kV...  Us high altitude folks have a
bit differnt numbers due to the thin air up here ;-))  My spark gap
distance are differnt than most poples since I live at 5400 feet.  The
chart at:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/SGapVolt.jpg

"may" be useful here...

A toroid's surface is a bit different than a sphere and has the toroid
diameter as an additional factor.  E-Tesla6 can do this calculation for a
given case but does not provide a simple equation.  However there is
probably one for this or it can be derived.

I suspect the answer is very close to 26kV per cm of cord diameter.