TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 20:48:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid field stress

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> I set it up and ran it and got 9200 Volts/cm  with 400kV on the
> toroid.

Yes, I guess the increase in chord diameter is reflected in the
reduced stress.

> That is a little short of the 26kV/cm we were looking for.

Needs over 1.1MV to breakout, which is obviously wrong.

> I have not used the  stress stuff much but I think it works properly.

I think so too - the caps come out right, so the field can't be out
by a factor of nearly 3.

>... Or the grid is too choppy to show the actual tiny stresses at the
> surface.

Maybe. Wonder how smooth

 http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/th-hut3.jpg

actually is?  Would only take one irregularity, an edge somewhere.

Guess we'll have to look at a few more coils, see if a pattern
emerges.