TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 18:58:01 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid field stress

At 08:48 PM 5/26/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Terrell W. Fritz wrote:
>
>> I set it up and ran it and got 9200 Volts/cm  with 400kV on the
>> toroid.
>
>Yes, I guess the increase in chord diameter is reflected in the
>reduced stress.
>
>> That is a little short of the 26kV/cm we were looking for.
>
>Needs over 1.1MV to breakout, which is obviously wrong.
>
>> I have not used the  stress stuff much but I think it works properly.
>
>I think so too - the caps come out right, so the field can't be out
>by a factor of nearly 3.

Since the capacitance is independent of voltage, there is a chance I have a
scaling error somewhere especially when using the little tested metric
dimensions.  I really should look at the voltage data (sure its right) and
be sure the point to point voltages agree there with the stress data array
and with the overall dimensions.

>>... Or the grid is too choppy to show the actual tiny stresses at the
>> surface.
>
>Maybe. Wonder how smooth
>
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/th-hut3.jpg
>
>actually is?  Would only take one irregularity, an edge somewhere.

I reran it with a 600 array size and got 10.2kV now.  Hmmm.  Since that
took four hours if it is a problem with a course grid, I'll never get there...

>Guess we'll have to look at a few more coils, see if a pattern
>emerges.

We know a 1 meter (radius) sphere breaks out at 3MV.  So It has to be
somewhat close to 30kV I would think.  I have a 50kV DC supply but I'll
have to see if I have any small spheres around.  This one is too big :-))

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Orb.jpg