TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:38:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Genetic optimisation (New: temperature sensitivity!!)

Bert, All

Some remarkable observations there from Peek's work. I never
realised there was such a sensitivity to temperature. I'm probably
not alone in having assumed all along that a fairly high temperature
would be required to memorise the passage of a streamer.

Presumably the mean free path is longer at the lower density
associated with the higher temperature?

> It's beginning to look as though we may have pinpointed the
> mechanism underlying bang-to-bang leader growth at relatively
> low break rates! The previous leader leaves behind a high
> temperature, lower density region having lowered dielectric
> strength - the NEXT leader can reignite at a significantly
> LOWER terminal potential, further extending the overall
> leader length over a series of sequential "bangs"!

That's quite an important statement!  It does sound very
plausible, given what you've reported from Peek.

Does this mean that if a series of video frames from, say, ten
consecutive bangs where captured synchronously, they would be
expected to show the streamers developing further along each
path with each frame?  I suppose the first bang would reach
the highest terminal voltage, and subsequent bangs would shunt
more charge into the streamer loading than earlier bangs, and so
would reach progressively lower peak voltages.

Perhaps in lieu of a synchronised camera, a light curve could be
obtained with some kind of photodetector?