TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:36:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topics on non-linear effects

Terry,

Ross Electronics and Jennings make similar units, using either compressed
gas (advantage: no X-Rays) or vacuum capacitors for the HV cap(s). Do you
have any idea of the expected standoff voltage required? I have a couple of
Ross units, one rated at 15 kV (off Ebay!) and the other for 60 kV
(untested - just picked it up at the Dayton HamFest, looks a bit beat up
though).

It might be possible to make an air insulated HV capacitor, or use a chain
of vacuum caps with grading rings for the HV section. If you want to try
"rolling you own", I have some design information that might be useful. As
you indicate, the key would be in calibrating the thing. Assuming you could
prevent corona leakage, it may be possible to calibrate it by using a
precision HV DC supply (say 5 or 10 kV) and then "pulsing" the output to
the divider via a HV SPDT vacuum relay, driving the divider input to either
the supply voltage or ground.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman