TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 19:31:01 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topics on non-linear effects

Hi Paul,

Capacitive voltage dividers may be the way to go.  Something along the
lines of the $800 Pearson:

http://www.pearsonelectronics.com/Pages/Capacitive_Voltage_Divider.html

Unfortunatly, there were none on E-bay... ;-)

They have the advantage of being calibrated out of the box (5%) and all the
thinking is done.  They have 18pF of load.

Most places seem to roll their own:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ieh/forschung/einrichtungen/v_general.jpg
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ieh/forschung/einrichtungen/v_Teilentl1.jpg

The problem is by the time you get all the electrostatic shields and
terminals big enough not to arc, the load goes up too high.  However, they
are basic physical devices with few tricks and the outputs can be clamped
heavily and such for protection.  Calibration is not trivial either.  I'll
think on it.

The plane wave antenna is another possibility but it is a wide area device.
 Perhaps it could be aimed through a tunnel or antenna like array to hit a
small spot...

I used to repair voltage dividers on 375kV power line equipment (live
==:-| ) but I don't think those types would be any good at high-frequency.