TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:37:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary in motion

More movies.

This time showing voltage *gradient*, both around 1.7 Mbyte,

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tfsm2-pdv-k=0.12.mpeg
 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tfsm2-pdv-k=0.20.mpeg

The vertical FSD for both movies is 0 to 425 V/turn for a primary
bang voltage of 10kV.  The gradient has been full-wave rectified,
so its always +ve on the graph. I've left off all the trimmings they
considerable increase the mpeg size.

Trace duration, both movies, is 0 (bang) to 31uS.

The corresponding static plots (with 100V firing voltage) are in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tfsm2-p-k=0.12.gif
 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tfsm2-p-k=0.20.gif

and the secondary voltage movies, which you've already seen, are in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tfsm2-p-k=0.12.mpeg
 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tfsm2-p-k=0.20.mpeg

The actual peak gradients are,

 k=0.12:  max=400V/turn @ 24% height, 17.75uS, frame 59
 k=0.20:  max=410V/turn @ 90% height, 11.29uS, frame 37

Not a vast difference there in the peak turn/turn voltage.

You have 17.72 turns/cm on this coil, so if you exceed 1.47kV/turn
you will be exceeding 26kV/cm longitudinally.

With some naive reasoning along these lines, you should be comfortably
immune from turn/turn breakdown (insulation permitting?) up to a firing
voltage of 10kV * 1470/410 ~= 36kV.

Would be interesting to find someone who's having real trouble with
racing arcs - a well tuned, bottom heavy coil that has an aggressive
primary, and put their setup through the mill - see how that comes out.

PS, by 'bottom heavy' I mean a coil that has a fair amount of its
distributed capacitance near the bottom of the coil, resulting in a
more rapid rise in voltage in that region, as illustrated by the
exaggerated artifical example #5 in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn1710/

So far, to me, it doesn't look like k=0.2 is a problem for your
coil Terry, I'll attempt to contrive a k=0.3 arrangement and run
that one.