TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:23:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary in motion

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> What a fascinating movie!

Ah, you should see the full feature-length big-screen version! But its
many tens of Mbyte - had to trim most of it away to get it down to a
reasonable filesize (:

> It does look a lot like a steel ruler that is bumped a bit to
> get it moving.

Quite a wriggly-writhing thing isn't it?  Even just 5% of mode 3 gives
that character to the motion. With the pure steady state response at
f1, we just get the very boring flopping from side-to-side of the
familiar profile.

> I have a request if it would not be a bother.  Could you make
> the same thing but with a much higher coupling (like 0.3)?

Ahead of you there, already on with it. I raised your primary 10cm
and remodeled the coil, ...

  http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/tplot.14725.out.gif

for the charts. I figured your real primary would not go any higher
up, so thought I'd better do this one with the virtual!

I'll generate a movie of this one and post it up later today
(will be after 12:00 your local time - our Telecom charges get a lot
less per second in the evenings!)

> I am wondering if the racing arc cause may show itself.  We often
> hear (just today) that raising the secondary (lowering the coupling)
> cures racing arcs along the secondary.  Perhaps the high coupling
> mixed with these higher modes is causing local high voltage areas on
> the secondary that promote racing arcs?

Well one way or another the voltage gradient is exceeding the
turn/turn breakdown limit of the secondary, but whether its simply
too much induction from the primary, or whether mode 3 is adding
to the problem, remains to be see.

But I think we needn't wait too long...

Bear in mind that mode 3, if at say 10% amplitude, will place (roughly)
an additional 10% of the *topvolts* across the bottom 3rd of the coil.
(as opposed to 10% of the normal voltage at 1/3rd height), which helps
explain why its so clearly visible in the movie, even at around only 5%
mode 3 amplitude.

BTW, Rather than plot the voltage profile, I think we'd see a clearer
picture if the *gradient* was plotted, ie as in the type of chart in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn2510/

so that we can just read off the volts/turn and see clearly whereabouts
on the coil it peaks.  I'll try to make time today to run a couple of
these through the movie-making script.

I'll also make up a chart showing the V gradient split into 3 layers,
showing the proportion at each turn due to

 a) induction from primary
 b) induction from secondary at modes 1&2
 c) induction from secondary at mode 3.

That should clarify the picture a little if I can run those for
both normal k and high k.

More to follow later on this subject.