TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:46:34 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary in motion

Hi Paul,

The most interesting part of the movies I see is at about 65% of the first
cycle:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Vgrad.jpg

It does appear there is more pent up voltage ready to arc near the base in
the k=0.2 case.  Since racing arcs occur when the voltage is really high
anyway, maybe this little difference is all that is needed to push it over
the edge and arc.

Racing arcs also tend to occur more on mistuned coils.  I assume that is
because the voltage is "trapped" in the secondary coil more and does not
get out to streamers as easily.

There is also a possibility that the change in voltage (dV/dt) at the lower
part of the coil is allowing greater current into the space capacitance at
that point which is helping ionization to occur.  Since this is a "surface"
arc phenomena.  It can occur at far lower voltage gradients than 26kV/cm.

I wonder if dirty or dusty coils that have a lot of arc points on the coil
are more likely to arc than clean coils?  If racing arcs are a very
temperamental thing, then dirt and other contaminants that promote arcing
would have a big effect.  I'll write the other list for more info.

It appears that racing arcs are a little more complex than "I" expected.
However, the clues are pointing in the right places.