TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:21:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary in motion

Hi Paul,

At 06:41 PM 5/31/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Waveform plots in
>
> http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/tplot.12907.out.gif
>
>based on 100V firing voltage, and the mode shapes are plotted in
>
> http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/tplot.13123.gif
>
>The FSD of the dV/dx movie is 675 volts/turn, was only
>425 volts/turn for the previous charts. The peak gradient is
>now 665 V/turn, compared with only 410 V/turn for the lower
>k setups.
>
>Note that the ultimate peak topvolts is no higher with the
>high k coupling, so we haven't gained anything.
>
>In order to contrive a primary which matched the Lp of the
>earlier runs, I had to switch to a cylindrical,
> radius 8cm,
> length 14cm, base level with base of secondary.
> turns 11.3.
>
>Stronger mode 3 compared to the other two.  Peak gradient is
>at 9.75uS, frame 33, 7.5% height.  In the mode plot, note the
>big difference in the shape of modes 1 & 2 in the region
>covered by the primary. That difference appears to be the cause
>of the high level of mode 3 excitation.

I wound up a temporary primary to your dimensions above and set it up with
the small coil:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/P5310006.JPG

The waveforms are:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00000.gif

Primary current:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00000.gif
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/TEK00000.CSV

Secondary base current:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00002.gif
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/TEK00001.CSV

Given that the tuning may be a little off (I can't adjust it) and the base
current is upside down (current tap backwards), it looks like these
waveforms agree nicely with your data above.

BTW - Sometimes the question comes up if it makes a difference if the
primary and secondary are wound in the same direction, opposite direction,
counter clockwise, clockwise...  It is usually assumed that makes no
difference at all.  Do you see any reason to think otherwise?