TSSP: List Archives

From: mystuffs@orwell.net (Metlicka Marc)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:15:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topics on non-linear effects

Paul wrote:

> To throw in another line of thought on this top volts measurement
> issue, and considering that we can manage with a peak reading,
> what about using some kind of electroscope?
>
> You've all seen the gold leaves which move apart in a static
> field - do these work in an alternating field too?
>
> Something quite small and self contained which contains a pair of
> chargeable objects or plates. When the gadget is charged up the
> 'plates' move apart.  Sit the thing on top of the toroid and observe
> from a safe distance.

i'm not quite sure it wouldn't arc straight through? but on that note, i
noticed while placing different light bulbs on top of my toroids that at
a very "certain" input voltage it would take in order for it to go from
"plasma globe" to streamers straight through.
maybe terry could check a standard "philips" 60 watt decorator bulb to
see if there is any standard voltage for breakthrough (he has the toys)?
if, by miracle, we could get something that could show a standard, then
i could use that as a calibrating point for my variacs and input
voltage-top v, then i could get a better idea of where i'm at at
breakout? this is the toughest point i'm at in comparing the top v
breakout point, knowing exactly where i'm at.
maybe the difference in frequency would make this a moot point?
marc