TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 22:54:17 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary in motion

Hi Paul,

Using my Tesla coil tuner:
The secondary system frequency is 252.91kHz.

The primary system is 242.31kHz and the cap is 27.7nF so the inductance
would be 15.575uH.  The frequencies were measured with the secondary in place.

However...

I turned the quench time to a small value and measured the secondary ring
down frequency when the primary circuit was open and got 238kHz for the
secondary frequency.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00005.gif

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00003.gif

Not that there are some harmonics present in the waveform still!*

I then removed the secondary and looked at the primary ring down frequency
and got 218kHz.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00004.gif

It used to be simple tuning this stuff but with all these new effects it is
getting complicated :-))

*The harmonics are caused by the solid state gap only turning "half" off.
It is an IGBT in parallel with a diode:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00008.gif

You can see the diode still pushes a little current out in the expanded
trace above.

This affects the secondary frequency some so I looked at it far out in the
ring down where the diode is off:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TerryCW/2001-5-31/Tek00007.gif

Now the secondary is at 242kHz.

So...  It looks like during actual operation that the primary frequency is
242 or 218kHz.  The secondary is 253 or 242kHz.

I guess I am a bit confused now :-))  But maybe the data above is what you
wanted or your can point me in the direction and way the things should be
measured...