TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 10:32:03 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topics on non-linear effects

Marc wrote [concerning top volts measurement]:

> i noticed while placing different light bulbs on top of my
> toroids that at a very "certain" input voltage it would take in
> order for it to go from "plasma globe" to streamers straight through.

That's an interesting idea.  Makes me wonder if a tube could be
filled with a low density gas, say Argon, at stp, in such a
way that its end-end breakdown voltage could be relied upon.

> then i could use that as a calibrating point for my variacs and input
> voltage-top v, then i could get a better idea of where i'm at at
> breakout? this is the toughest point i'm at in comparing the top v
> breakout point, knowing exactly where i'm at.

Yep, that's the problem we're up against.  Once we can measure the
top volts on live systems, we can start to make headway on
optimisation.

> maybe the difference in frequency would make this a moot point?

Maybe.  That concern would apply to any proposed method for
measure high RF voltages at high source impedance, so we'll have
to be prepared to figure out the frequency response of whatever
method we use.  The more I think about it, the trickier this
top volts measurement thing gets.   Built a water divider for
my coil,  months ago,  still haven't got around to testing and
calibrating it.