TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:01:21 -0600
Subject: [TSSP] Re: Racing arc clues...

Here are som interesting secondary arc photos and some comments I made....
He also mentioned that his older caps may drift in value in longs runs
throwing the tuning off.  - Terry

=============
Hi Robin,

You coil is interesting!  At one point it seems to resist racing arcs:

http://www.geocities.com/rcopini/2ndlighti-1.jpg

But at another is seems to race well:

http://www.geocities.com/rcopini/2ndlightl-1.jpg

From:
http://www.geocities.com/rcopini/2ndlight.html

We think that higher order harmonics set up on the secondary may create
local high voltage gradient areas that promote these arcs.   However, the
same effect may also cause relatively dead areas along the secondary.
These great photos would seem to show both.  Still much to be learned in
this area but we are getting there.

High coupling tends to make higher order harmonics worse.  Raising your
secondary a little may reduce or eliminate the problem if it is bad enough
to worry about.  Since it is a high voltage breakdown phenomena, air
temperature, humidity, etc. will all have an effect.