TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 14:05:05 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Re: Racing arc clues...

Hi John,
I don't think the dots are a reflection, but rather upper secondary
discharges. I changed the gamma on the image to take a better a look.
 http://www.classictesla.com/temp/2ndlighti1.jpg

It looks like the corona ring and extended height of the toroid above the
secondary that may be the cause to the breakout (note that this is not a
typical "racing arc". Racing arcs on my coil went in a very straight path -
this looks more like upper secondary breakout). The corona ring sheilding is
non-existent and the toroid is pretty high above the coil. This can promote
breakout at the top of the secondary. I'd bet if the toroid was lowered to
where the bottom plane was even with the top winding (and corona ring
removed), the problem would go away.

Bart Anderson