TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 22:45:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Interesting article on Medhurst, Wheeler, modeling,etc.

Finn Hammer wrote:

> I took this to mean that too few measure, and that there
> is a lack of measurements on short coils, so I wound a 500
> turns coil, 160 mm in diametre and 146 mm long. It measures
> 29.4mH on my handheld LCR meter.

Thanks Finn. The h/d=0.91 is just a very nice size for this
kind of test.  Well into the region where Cint begins to be
very prominent,  and therefore just the right choice!  I'd
like to take a real close look at this coil.  Do you have
any sort of ground plane beneath it?  A foil sheet perhaps?

And can you let me know the wire gauge?

> Sine generator to base of coil, sitting one metre up from
> the floor on a 160 mm sewer pipe (pvc), scope probe dangling
> 1/2 meter from the coil, with a cliplead as an antenna clipped
> to the tip of the probe. I was close to the coil too, about one
> meter, but long enough to not make a difference if I moved
> around.

OK. What's the output impedance of the generator?  How does
it connect to the base - coax?  Where the does the generator
get earthed?  Shouldn't be too critical since we're not
interested in the Q factor.  We just need to make sure
that there is a well defined ground surface dominating the
area around the coil, and that the signal ground of the
generator connects directly to this through the coax screen.

> Frequences at which the scope trace roze high:
> 340 kHz (measured with fluke 87 as counter,
>          it will not measure beyond 650kHz)
> 725 kHz
> 1100 kHz
> 1450 kHz

How were the higher frequencies measured, from the generator
dial?

> Sorry guys, perhaps there is a description of a good measurement
> procedure I could follow?

We'll figure it out as we go along!

> I`m here to learn, and to help provide some of that experimental
> evidence.

Just what we need Finn, and you've come up with just the
right coil I think.  Looking forward to working with it - its
going to be an interesting one.  You'd better let us know what
instruments you have at your end.