TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:09:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] UNIX for Windows

Terry, All

Terry wrote:

> However, there is a wonderful   -->free<--  UNIX shell
> program at:

> http://cygwin.com/

This is a terrific step forward, because it means that not only will the
modeling programs run as normal, but also some of the supporting scripts
will too.  For example, I have a little script into which I pipe Terry's
scope trace data. It looks to see what the time axis is doing, runs the
model to the same range and steps, then FTs both sets of data and does
the plots. The modeling software is entirely command line and input file
driven specifically to be scriptable in this way. It soon becomes a pain
running the commands manually, for example searching for the resonances.
You run tforce, look at the output file, see what the input reactance is
doing, choose another frequency, and so on. Tedious!  Especially when
you change the software and have to recompute 80 coils.  So you write a
short shell/awk script to do it for you. This is one of the keys to the
power of unix.  You have a vast toolkit of utility programs, and you
string them together any way you want, using the scripting languages.
This approach requires a change of head for Windows users.  There, the
trend is for large monolithic programs with lots of buttons.  If there's
a button for what you want to do, then fine, otherwise you're stuffed.
With the toolkit and script approach, you're limited only by your
imagination.  For this reason I'd recommend getting to know the shell
command language, along with the tools awk, grep, and sed.

The windows binary compiled by gcc under cygwin will not run without
the API library cygwin.dll, so the EXE files thus produced can only be
used locally within the cygwin shell emulation.  Not long ago, Marco
modified v0.8 to run under windows, compiled with the Microsoft compiler
to produce a set of standard windows binaries. Only minor changes were
required, but perhaps Marco will give the next revision, 0.9d the same
treatment.  You'll then be able to run the modeling programs using
Marco's binaries outside of the cygwin environment.  You'll have to
make your own arrangements for stringing the tools together, but Kurt
has recently demonstrated one way to do this.

I'll try to get another cut of the software put together in the next
few days.  It has a little bit more documentation now.