TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:40:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Solenoid losses

Hi All.

Regarding

 http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/inductor/litzj.pdf

I wrote to the author Charles Sullivan to ask for advice.  He writes, of
our project,

> From a very quick look, I think your work on this is considerably
> better than anything I know of in the professional literature.

He suggests a possible way to proceed on the Q factor problem, referring
us to his paper,

 http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/inductor/sfdj.pdf

which describes his Squared-Field-Derivative (SFD) method for computing
the winding loss.  This approach constructs a dynamic resistance matrix
D, in which the elements are the coefficients relating the power loss
in the winding to the squared differentials of the currents flowing in
the all the windings. For small wire diameters, the D matrix can be
computed just by considering static B fields, so that the result is a
constant for the resonator - a function only of the geometry, not
frequency. It's a very neat approach, although there are some potential
problems when applied to Tesla coils, it should take us some way beyond
Medhurst.

He goes on to ask if we have considered submitting our work for more
formal peer review and publication, and he suggests a couple of places
worth trying:

> the IEEE transactions on magnetics seems like one good possiblity, or
> the intermag conference associated with them,
> http://www.intermag2002.org

> one conference to try would be http://www.iee.org.uk/Conf/PEMD/

> Then there's the "electromagnetic compatibility" society of the IEEE,
> which has a journal and an annual conference
> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/emcs/

> And there's the annual compumag conference, www.compumag.co.uk

Of course, I'll look into these, although we need to fully explore the
small h/d region before we can be certain about the role of long-range
Cint.

Cheers All,