TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:59:47 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Solenoid losses

Hi Paul,

At 08:40 AM 6/11/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All.
>
>Regarding
>
> http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/inductor/litzj.pdf
>
>I wrote to the author Charles Sullivan to ask for advice.  He writes, of
>our project,
>
>> From a very quick look, I think your work on this is considerably
>> better than anything I know of in the professional literature.

:-))))

This is great!!!  Dr. Sullivan is obviously very close to the paper writing
and academic world.  He is also very familiar with the area that we are
diving into!  That fact that he likes our stuff is very encouraging!!

>He suggests a possible way to proceed on the Q factor problem, referring
>us to his paper,
>
> http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/inductor/sfdj.pdf

Wow!  Cool! paper!  Others are at:

http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/inductor/papers.html

>which describes his Squared-Field-Derivative (SFD) method for computing
>the winding loss.  This approach constructs a dynamic resistance matrix
>D, in which the elements are the coefficients relating the power loss
>in the winding to the squared differentials of the currents flowing in
>the all the windings. For small wire diameters, the D matrix can be
>computed just by considering static B fields, so that the result is a
>constant for the resonator - a function only of the geometry, not
>frequency. It's a very neat approach, although there are some potential
>problems when applied to Tesla coils, it should take us some way beyond
>Medhurst.
>
>He goes on to ask if we have considered submitting our work for more
>formal peer review and publication, and he suggests a couple of places
>worth trying:
>
>> the IEEE transactions on magnetics seems like one good possiblity, or
>> the intermag conference associated with them,
>> http://www.intermag2002.org
>
>> one conference to try would be http://www.iee.org.uk/Conf/PEMD/
>
>> Then there's the "electromagnetic compatibility" society of the IEEE,
>> which has a journal and an annual conference
>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/emcs/
>
>> And there's the annual compumag conference, www.compumag.co.uk

This is wonderful!

>Of course, I'll look into these, although we need to fully explore the
>small h/d region before we can be certain about the role of long-range
>Cint.

I have been looking for large diameter electrically neutral coil forms (I
got wire :-))  I have a big 6 gallon glass "carboy" for those stand alone
drinking water dispensers.  It is about 12 inches (30cm) diameter and has
about 25cm of usable winding length on it.  Is glass a fairly good low loss
material?  I have seen some other plastic "buckets" but they are all
tapered (a section of a long cone) instead of having straight sides.

I still have not looked at my small low H/D coil...

The obnoxious day job has been taking my time this week so I have not done
much :-(.