TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:06:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Cint experiment

I wrote:

> Related to the Cint issue - does anyone fancy building a small
> h/d coil with around a dozen or so tapping points in order to
> measure a current profile?

The point being that a direct current profile measurement would provide
unequivocal evidence of the elevated current maximum caused by current
circulating through Cint, thereby demonstrating beyond any doubt that
longitudinal capacitance is having a big effect. Has been done before -
Breit in his 1921 paper shows some current profiles, but doesn't give
much detail.  Surely it has been measured and since, but I've not yet
turned up any references.  So it would be very nice if we could measure
our own quantitative current profile.

The other way to prove Cint is by making a coil on a former thin
enough that its material dielectric does not add too much capacitance,
so that the higher mode frequencies agree to say, 1%.  This is a less
direct method - I'll say more about the prospects for this in another
post.

Finn Hammer wrote:

> Yes, I will do it, but can I complete the measurement without a
> digitizing scope?

A measured profile to match the computed profile shown in pn2511, figure
6.1, which is h/d=1, would be ideal.  A smaller h/d would make the
profile harder to measure, and a larger h/d would take the current
maximum further towards the bottom, and it would be reduced in
amplitude.

A digitizing scope is not necessary for this test.  The coil must be
constructed with about a dozen or so series tapping points, distributed
around the circumference so that the taps are roughly evenly scattered
over the whole coil. They don't have to be a fixed number of turns
apart.

Two methods of measurement:

a) Insert a current sensing device into each tap, one at a time, small
and self-contained. Only has to give a relative current indication.
Adjust base drive voltage to get the same current reading at every tap.
Take a final measurement with the current sensor in the base lead.

b) Insert a resistance into each tap.  Measure the Q. Bypass the
resistance and adjust a variable resistor in the base circuit so that
the Q is the same.  Only needs a relative Q indicator, but it needs to
be fairly high resolution.

Probably worth doing both methods, having gone to the trouble of making
a special coil.

> I would like to do it on a 200 mm dia. former, since I have special
> jaws for the lathe to chuck them without making them unround.

20cm might be a little small - depends how small and unobtrusive the
tapping points were, and how many.  Could be just about useable, but
will need a bit of thought.

> Pls. choose H/D ratio and turns,

I'll have a think about that. We need to make sure the coil Fres will be
in range of your instruments.

> I will resume measuring on the low H/D ratio coils as soon as the
> frequency counter arrives (thanks, Kurt!)

A fresh set of measurements on your 500 turn coil would be most useful.