TSSP: List Archives

From: Kurt Schraner
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:00:37 +0200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Short Coil Experiments

Paul, thank you!

Below, interpersed, a few additional comments to the measurements.

Paul wrote:

> Kurt wrote:
>
> > the new measurements of the d=0.385m; h/d=1.15
>
> Thanks. I've run these through the mill to get
>
>  sk38b50: bare d=0.384m h/d=1.15 sr=0.79 turns=346 w/o mat
>  f1    221.3kHz  230.1kHz +4.0%
>  f3    506.5kHz  557.2kHz +10.0%
>  f5    748.8kHz  882.5kHz +17.9%
>  f7    831.0kHz 1222.5kHz +47.1%
>
> without any correction for material dielectric.
>
> (Kurt, the f7 measurement is suspicious - I'd expect something
>  around 980 kHz.  I see you flagged it as questionable.)

This measurement was nothing more than a just distinguishable change of
appearence of the scope trace (very small amplitude), at roughly the
indicated frequency. It should be discarded; better I was not even
including it in the results-table!

> The rising trend in errors is clear, and similar to what we have seen on
> other coils, eg Finn's

> If we take the material thickness as a percentage of the length, we get

> Kurt's: 0.8/44 = 1.8%
> Finn's: 0.55/14.5 = 3.8%

> which we can use as an indication of the potential effect of the former.
> I put in a rough correction for this, which came out with the right sort
> of order of magnitude of change, which is encouraging.  It also improves
> the results from larger h/d coils too, where the rising error trend is
> still present, but less, eg Kurt's Sk-long coil:>

> If we put in an approximate correction for the 3mm PVC, we get
>
>  sk16b50: bare d=0.161m h/d=8.71 sr=0.85 turns=1976 matcor
>  f1    152.3kHz  155.3kHz +1.9%
>  f3    387.2kHz  382.4kHz -1.2%
>  f5    564.2kHz  557.8kHz -1.1%
>  f7    713.0kHz  708.4kHz -0.6%
>  f9    850.0kHz  845.0kHz -0.6%
>  f11   973.3kHz  972.9kHz -0.0%
>
> which suggests that the correction is not quite enough.

The f1 point might be low, because of surrounding's influence on this
tall coil. Otherwise, I believe, my results are (-in absolute terms-)
not more precise, than your calculations.

> Kurt, you also supplied results for Sk-5cm,
>
>  sk5b503: bare d=0.051m h/d=8.03 sr=0.91 turns=934 w/o mat
>  f1    979.7kHz 1030.8kHz +5.2%
>  f3   2428.7kHz 2531.9kHz +4.3%
>  f5   5300.0kHz 3707.7kHz -30.0%
>  f7   6924.6kHz 4739.0kHz -31.6%
>  f9   8643.1kHz 5694.6kHz -34.1%
>
> Something a bit astray with f5 and above.  I get a better match if I
> interpret the results as:
>
>  sk5b503: bare d=0.051m h/d=8.03 sr=0.91 turns=934 w/o mat
>  f1    979.7kHz 1030.8kHz +5.2%
>  f3   2428.7kHz 2531.9kHz +4.3%
>  f5             3707.7kHz
>  f7             4739.0kHz
>  f9   5300.0kHz 5694.6kHz +7.4%
>  f11            6605.9kHz
>  f13  6924.6kHz 7502.1kHz +8.3%
>  f15            8384.8kHz
>  f17  8643.1kHz 9272.9kHz +7.3%
>

> Kurt, perhaps you can have a look for the missing resonances?

I'll do that. But for the moment I just like to mention, the Heathkit
RF-generator has much lower quality, than the Siemens. I've recognized a
strongly distorted output signal (something like triangular, instead of
sine). On one of the harmonics (5300kHz?) it was generating an nonsine
antenna-signal, like 2 interfering sines. I had to use this generator,
'cause the Siemens only goes to 1.6 MHz. I also got higher peaks
(13.68MHz, 17.245MHz), which I'm no more shure, if they don't represent
resonances of different origin, than just the coil...

> One last observation, concerning Q factors: The Q of Kurt's sk38b50
> is very low, around 100, compared with a predicted Q of well over 500.
> Is this the sonotube effect we see here.  My book on dielectric
> properties gives the loss factor of paper/cardboard as 0.02, which is
> abysmal.

If the Generator-Z was really low, the measured Q should not be too far
away from reality. Of course the 70.7% max.-amplitude reading on the
scope is not very precise, perhaps 68..73%. But, as mentioned in my last
mail, I'm not very shure about the generator-impedances.

> I'll see if I can use a laplace solution to improve the material
> correction, but so far it sure looks like it can account for the bulk
> of the higher mode error.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Paul Nicholson,