TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:30:11 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Some Considerations

Hi Marco, all,

> my original idea was to model Thor (as I did) and then to use a
> capacitive voltage divider to measure the top voltage. The capacitive
> voltage divider would be one of those the HUT laboratory has got (high
> towers, professional $$$ stuff). Including the model of the divider in
> Thor's model it should be possible to infer about its correctness and
> about the voltage when the divider is not loading the coil.

Where were you going to position the divider? Off-axis to the coil?
Also, I wanted to eliminate as far as possible any loading effects. I
was thinking of resistance of several GOhm. If we could get some
accurate measurement under disruptive conditions but not necessarily
at an arbitrarily high power level I think it would be reasonable to
extrapolate the result under non-breakout conditions at least as it
is possible to accurately quantify the secondary energy under those
msmt conditions.

> It would be also a matter of choice to retune the coil to compensate for
> the tuning ratio shift or just to ignore it, as that is modeled too.

It seems to me that this is a chicken and egg situation. We want to
verify models so incorporating a model as part of the verification
process seems self-defeating. Yes?

> This idea might be silly, as I really didn't have time to refine it (or
> trash it :) ).
>
> Regards
>
> P.S. I mean, I just feel we have to abandon the idea to measure the top
> voltage unloding the TC. Instead, we can measure it with a KNOWN load
> and then "model out" its effect.

It sometimes seems like it is a "mission impossible". This must be
one of the most difficult measurements to take with minimal
disturbance because of the extremely high impedances involved. Yet I
think we have to throw the book at it if this part of tssp is to be
authoritative. We're already in new territory in at least one aspect
of this research I believe. Personally I would like to see this
project be "game, set and match" for all time.
     There is nothing silly about any idea or discussion IMO and I
feel we have to find a way, so anything, however commonplace or
offbeat may suggest a previously overlooked possibility.

Regards,
Malcolm