TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:36:07 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Some Considerations

Hi Marc,

> i've been pondering an idea for voltage measurments without disturbing
> the field. how does a poly tube filled with salt water or a conducting
> fluid and graphite plugs in the ends sound?
> being non-matalic it should keep disturbances to a minimum alowing
> remote voltage reading?
> any opinions on this.
> marc

It's still a conductor though. Should there be any difference in this
respect between saltwater and a string of carbon? As I see it, the
major objection to any probe that has to reference the top of the
coil to ground is that it occupies physical space and modifies the
permittivity and/or permeability of the medium it lives in. I think I
will perform a cursory examination of the effects of a probe running
through the centre of a resonator of a reasonably large diameter. It
is not for nothing that an authoritative technique appears not to
exist.

Regards,
Malcolm