TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco Denicolai
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:46:54 +0300
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Some Considerations

Hello all,

Malcolm Watts wrote:
> Where were you going to position the divider? Off-axis to the coil?

We are talking about a 2-3 m high "tower": it is usually connected to
the target with an aluminium rod, supported by a rope hanging from the
roof (roof is maybe 10 m high).

> Also, I wanted to eliminate as far as possible any loading effects. I
> was thinking of resistance of several GOhm.

I believe capacitive dividers are really purely capacitive (not a
compensated resistive divider).

>If we could get some
> accurate measurement under disruptive conditions but not necessarily
> at an arbitrarily high power level I think it would be reasonable to
> extrapolate the result under non-breakout conditions at least as it
> is possible to accurately quantify the secondary energy under those
> msmt conditions.

If we recall that "disruptive" doesn't necessarily imply streamer
formation (with streamer loading, uncertainty, and all what follows), we
can run the measurement at a medium power level, thus avoiding extra
streamers leaving the aluminium rod.

> > It would be also a matter of choice to retune the coil to compensate for
> > the tuning ratio shift or just to ignore it, as that is modeled too.
>
> It seems to me that this is a chicken and egg situation. We want to
> verify models so incorporating a model as part of the verification
> process seems self-defeating. Yes?

The capacitive divider is a fairly simple device. It should be possible
to make a trustable model of it in five minutes. At least to a degree of
precision good enough for our purposes. It's a device used for precision
measurements, not a home-made low-budget toy like I have got at home.
We are basically looking for its capacitance (I guess), not its
resistive part.

Regards

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769
 DSL Products              mobile: +358 50 353 9468
 Sinikalliontie 7          fax: +358 9 4131 2410
 02630 Espoo  FINLAND      email: marco.denicolai@tellabs.com