TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:55:11 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid breakdown voltage indirect meas.

Hi Paul,

On 27 Jun 01, at 8:39, Paul wrote:

> Marco Denicolai wrote:
>
> > - Feed voltage 18 kV or less (i.e. toroid 585 kV or less): no streamers,
> > NO CORONA anywhere.
> > - Feed voltage 18.35 kV or more (i.e. toroid 598 kV or more): streamers,
> > NO CORONA anywhere.
>
> Marco,
>
> This is interesting.  Could you let me know your primary tapping
> point and primary cap size?  My simulations, so far using guesses
> for these numbers, lead to generally around 450kV for 20kV feed.
>
> Amazing how suddenly the streamers appear.  Does further increase
> in feed above 18.35kV increase the streamer length, or does it
> increase their number or brightness?

This is generally observed on all coils. I watched Greg Leyh doing
some single shot tests on Electrum. 34kV - no streamers at all. 35kV -
7 foot single-rooted air streamers with the usual multiple branching
at the tips. There is a well defined voltage required to cause
breakout for any given configuration. It is most pronounced with a
large emitting surface (virtual, as in the case of Electrum's topload
with its welded bars, or real "filled in" surface).

Regards,
malcolm