TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco Denicolai
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:27:22 +0300
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid breakdown voltage indirect meas.

Hi Paul

Paul wrote:

> Marco Denicolai wrote:
>
> > - Feed voltage 18 kV or less (i.e. toroid 585 kV or less): no streamers,
> > NO CORONA anywhere.
> > - Feed voltage 18.35 kV or more (i.e. toroid 598 kV or more): streamers,
> > NO CORONA anywhere.
>
> Marco,
>
> This is interesting.  Could you let me know your primary tapping
> point and primary cap size?

Primary tap at 7.5 turns, primary cap is 0.0967 uF.

>My simulations, so far using guesses
> for these numbers, lead to generally around 450kV for 20kV feed.
>
> Amazing how suddenly the streamers appear.  Does further increase
> in feed above 18.35kV increase the streamer length, or does it
> increase their number or brightness?

I don't know, because at this operating point I am at the limits of the
CCPS:

1 - The CCPS max output voltage is 20 kV
2 - To go higher than 18.5 kV I have to decrease the bang rate,
otherwise the CCPS has not enough time for charging between bangs.

Now you surely understand why I used to place a copper rod on the top of
the toroid to decrease the leader threshold voltage.

Cheers

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769
 DSL Products              mobile: +358 50 353 9468
 Sinikalliontie 7          fax: +358 9 4131 2410
 02630 Espoo  FINLAND      email: marco.denicolai@tellabs.com